Friday, January 23, 2009

Tribute to a True Best Friend

WARNING: You'll need some Kleenex.

Today, one of my childhood pets ended her journey here on Earth and made her way to Heaven. Mollie had been suffering with Congestive Heart Failure for several months and her body was finally ready to let go this week, though her soul (and love for frisbee) was still going strong and I'm sure always will. I'm glad I got to see and spend time with her over the Christmas holiday. She then, and even today was as beautiful as ever. I cant imagine how hard it was, this week, for my parents to watch her deteriorate and know her time was nearing. But the end of the journey was also bittersweet as she gave us all signs that it was OK to let her go (as you can see in the pictures). I loved her tremendously, and always will. Its a comfort to know that she can play pain-free up in Heaven with her green Flippy Flopper. I can only hope that one day I will see her again. I love you, Boo!

Here's a poem my Mom found that says it all...

May I go now
Don't you think the time is right?
May I say good-bye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?
I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be,
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?
I didn't want to go at first.
I fought with all my might!
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.
I want to go! I really do!
It's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me
and share your love and tears.
I'll not be far, I promise that,
and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me
You know I loved you too.
That's why it's hard to say good-bye
and end this life with you.
So hold me now, just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me
you'll let me go today.


5 comments:

Abigail and Ansley said...

I am so sorry! She was so beautiful. Was she a Sheltie? My parents have had one for about 10 years, and they are the best pets in the world!

Jennifer said...

Mollie was a Sheltie. We had another, Roxie, who passed away about 8 years ago, and we've got 1 left, Samantha. They are unbelievably beautiful and smart dogs.

Kerri & Will Hillis said...

She's a beautiful dog!

The Stein Family aka lilsteinstyles said...

I am so sorry for your loss... ((HUGS))

Mrs. Willis said...

So sorry for your loss.