Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Trip to the Hospital - 22 weeks 5 days


This evening was quite exciting to say the least. Chris and I slept in and relaxed this morning, then decided to go to Panera Bread for lunch. While eating at Panera I felt 2 Braxton Hicks contractions in less than an hour which was more frequent than I've been getting them. After lunch we went to the Marketplace to shop for a bit and my stomach tightened and wouldnt let up. We went straight home, I went to the bathroom and drank another glass of water (supposed to help the Braxton Hicks), then went and took a nap for an hour. I felt much better, but when I slid out of bed, my uterus tightened up again. It didnt hurt but was definitely an unsettling feeling. I decided to call the DR on call (since it was Saturday) and he said I should go to L&D just to be safe and get checked, so off we went.

At about 6pm we arrived at Centennial Medical Center's High Risk OB ER where the nurses already knew I was coming. I had to provide a urine sample to test for a UTI and get swabbed for the FFN test. They had my change into a gown, took my vital signs, traced the babies' heartrates on the monitor (that took awhile b/c they were so active) and then they started monitoring for contractions. I was nervous but remained calm. They also checked my cervix for dilation, and thankfully it was closed and had good length - signs that I was NOT in labor. Whew!

Chris went and got us dinner at the Dairy Queen in the hospital. I had some chicken tenders, fries, toast, and a Hawaiian Blizzard. Mmmmmmm. The nurse came in while we were eating and said that I was having some "preterm contractions" (the kind that dont change the cervix but if not stopped could lead to labor) and they would need to give me a shot of terbutaline to stop them. About 5 min after the shot my heart rate was much faster (a common side effect). It felt like I had just run on the treadmill except I was just sitting there! I also got shaky when I got up to go to the bathroom. After 45min, they were starting up again so I got another shot. Thankfully, they werent coming back after the 2nd shot and we were sent home at about 11pm. The hospital told me to stay on bedrest until I got to see my OB.

We drove home, nervous but thankful. I immediately went to bed.

...And the bedrest begins!

No comments: