Friday, February 13, 2009

24 Week Update




We've made it to viability!! If the babies were born this week they would have about a 50% chance of survival, but a long road to recovery in a Neonatal ICU and high probability of various disabilities from being born so premature, but survival is possible. When I worked in the NICU I took care of many "24-weekers", several of which did a great job, so this is a big milestone! Of course we hope they stay in for several more weeks!

Babies Update: The babies are growing well and are very active! We had a 3D ultrasound this week and got some great pictures of Twin B. Twin A was lying under the placenta so we couldnt get a clear picture but a nice profile shot. Heartrates were great - in the 150s for both. We will be getting ultrasounds weekly from here on out but they dont do measurements every week b/c of the error rate, so we'll have weight estimates about every 2-3 weeks. This week they estimate Twin A to weigh 1lb 5oz and Twin B 1lb 7oz. Look at their beautiful faces! We're so in love with them!

Mommy Update: I was tested for Gestational Diabetes this week. I did a test on Monday where I drank some fruit punch drink and then had to wait 1 hr to get my blood drawn. I scored a little out of range so I then was scheduled for a 3 hr Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) on Friday. You have to fast for 12hrs, come in, get your blood drawn, drink the drink again, and get your blood drawn at 1, 2, and 3hrs after drinking the drink. I was STARVING by the end but brought some magazines and thank you notes to work on while I was waiting. They also let me sit back in a procedure room in a nice microfiber recliner since I'm on bedrest. Yay for the special treatment! I'll get the results next week.

Daddy Update: Chris is such a trooper thru everything! He is so helpful with me on bedrest. He leaves me snacks and water on my nightstand before he goes to work. He's taking care of all the household necessities. Its so hard not to help him, but I know its in the babies' best interest that I stay off my feet as much as possible. He keeps me on track and doesnt let me do too much and does it all without a complaint. Is this Daddy amazing or what?

No comments: